M-2 Tool Steel is molybdenum based high-speed steel in tungsten–molybdenum series. HSS grade steel M2 is a medium alloyed high speed steel which has good machinability and red hardness properties. M2 high-speed steel has largely replaced T1 in most applications due to its superior properties and advantageous pricing.
D-2 Similar/Equivalent Steel Grades :
Steel Properties : For all metal-cutting tools for roughing or finishing, such as twist drills, all kinds of milling cutters, screw taps, screw dies, broaches, reamers, countersinks, thread chasers, segments for circular saws, shaping tools and woodworking tools. Also highly suitable for cold-forming tools, such as cold extrusion rams and dies, as well as cutting and precision cutting tools, plastic moulds with elevated wear resistance and screws.
Applications : Standard high-speed steel grade. High toughness and good cutting power owing to its well-balanced alloy composition; thus suitable for a wide variety to applications.
It is typical steel grade of W-Mo current hss, with high toughness, good thermal plasticity, high hardness, as well as red gardness and hot hardness.
TGM2 is suitable for produce in high quality cutting tools, such as hob, knife, and milling cutter. TGM2A is suitable for produce in common cutting tools with high toughness, also suitable for cold-forming tools. M2 is suitable for produce common tools.
Chemical Composition: (%)
Production Process :
|Under Annealed Condition :||Reduction Ratio :||Delivery Status :|
|Hardness: HB205-255||As 1:4 or 1:5||As Cold drawn / Hot rolled / forged, in annealed condition|
Sizes of Round Bars :
|Cold Drawn/Ground Bar||Hot Rolled Bar||Forged Bar||Coil|
|Φ 2.0 - 14.4mm||Φ 14.5 - 80.0mm||Φ 81.0 - 255.0mm||Φ 2.0 - 13.5mm|
Sizes of Flat Bars :
|5mm - 205mm||5mm - 810mm|
Sizes of Square Bars :
|4mm - 100mm|
Sizes of Sheets :
|0.5mm - 12mm||810mm||2500mm|
- Annealing temperature : 860-880℃, keep this temperature by 2-4 hours, then cooling to 600℃ in the speed of less than 30℃/h.
- If after cold drawn process, suggest and stress relieving annealing process Under the temperature of 600-700℃, keep this temperature by 2 hours.
- Quenching & Tempering (salt bath)
Heat Treatment :
- Heating temperature under: 400-500℃ and 850-900℃
- Austenitizing temperature: 1185-1225℃
- Heating coefficient 10-15sec/mm, quenching under 580-620℃, then cooling to room temperature.
Pre-heating in two steps :
- Tempering temperature under:540-560℃, tempering 3 times, each time 1 hour, then cooling to room temperature.